ALBUM REVIEW: Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (2018)

 Ok, I’m thinking this will be my last album review for some time, hopefully 4 within the span of 3 days is enough for you guys haha.

Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (2018)

Genre(s): Country Pop, Singer-Songwriter


This should be no surprise that I adore this album, I’ll say it right now, I’ve sung praises to this album indirectly in some of my retrospective lists for the best and worst hit songs of a year, but let me set the stage of how I first started listening to this album, I had previously been familiar with Musgraves’ song “Rainbow”, which from the very first listen managed to make me utterly break down, and it became a song that slowly throughout the course of a few years I found myself returning to time and time again when I needed a shoulder to cry on or a hug, and when listening to this album the first time, I was flabbergasted by how much I loved it, even expecting it to be good. So is this better or worse than JVKE’s excellent song from this year?


The common emotion I think I can use to describe the songs on this album are relaxing. From the first track, “Slow Burn”, with Musgraves’s heavenly, soothing vocals to the laid back plucks of the guitar, all the way to the impeccable blend of country and disco for “High Horse” and the closing track, “Rainbow”, which I had dubbed on this blog as my favorite song of all time, “Rainbow” ending the album leaves the album on a sorta aspirational note and allows you to look to the future with optimism, where it’s time to take off the safety blanket and face the challenges of the real world, like there’ll still be a rainbow over your head when you come out the other side.


And look, when relistening to this album for this review, I was looking for any flaws that I could find, but every time I got close, Kacey’s soothing vocals just made all my criticisms melt like butter, I would say that the guitar tones on “Butterflies” aren’t my favorite, but I genuinely couldn’t imagine what could work better as a substitute.


So if you want my final thoughts...this album is one that allows your worries to dissipate even if only for a fleeting moment. So overall, final verdict...11/10, it’s the best album I’ve ever heard, every song on it is perfect and the album has an additional personal significance for me, Kacey herself would have to top this for that to change. You know what, for the best/worst on the album, check the breakdown I put below this review. If you haven’t heard this album before, drop everything you’re doing and change that immediately, you won't regret it. Even if you hate country music, I’m sure you’ll be able to find at least one song you enjoy.


So that's that, thank you guys so much for reading! I think this’ll probably be the last thing I do before my 2023 lists at the end of the year, but we’ll see. See you next time, whenever that next time may be!


Best: Rainbow

HM: the entire fucking rest of the album

Worst: N/A

DM: N/A

Comments

  1. I completely agree that this is an amazing album. My favorites from the album are "Rainbow," "Oh, What a World," "Butterflies" and "High Horse." All of the first three are absolutely beautiful, and "High Horse" is a really neat disco/country blend. I am usually not a big fan of country music, but this album is absolutely incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Top 10 Worst Hit Songs Of 2023

The Top 10 Best Hit Songs of 2023

The Top 10 Worst Hit Songs of the 2000s