The Top 10 Worst Hit Songs of 1994

 

The Top 10 Worst Hit Songs of 1994


Hey everyone, welcome back to Fire’s Flaming Hot Takes for another retro year-end list! Today, we’re looking at the top 10 worst hit songs of 1994!!

So 1990-91 were flat-out awful years for the Hot 100, 1992 was very good, if kinda overrated, and 1993 was very...okay. Now as for 1994...it feels like a blend of 1992 and 1993 in a way. Like 1992, it seems to generally be considered a good year for the Hot 100 and I see why—you’ll see much of the great trends in 94 on my best list. But I also ended up seeing a LOT more duds than people remember. This ultimately balanced everything out to make 1994 a pretty okay year for music, like 1993.

Music trends rarely, if ever, neatly fall into one decade. It often takes a few years for the biggest trends of the decade to really start. 1994 is probably what you could consider as more or less the start of the 90s.

The 80s backwash that plagued the early 90s was finally gone, save for a select few legacy acts. R&B and hip hop also had really strong years, and most pleasingly of all for me—eurodance had a great 1994!! I know my bias towards this genre has been very well documented on this blog already, but there was tons to like in eurodance this year!! This meant that a lot of the worst hits this year were boring ballads or songs that have aged really badly thanks to present-day events.

So now to start on this list!! The songs eligible for this list must have met one of these rules:

  • They debuted on the 1994 Hot 100 YE

  • Repeating songs must have beat or matched their previous standings on this YE

  • Songs in the YE top 20 are eligible regardless of the first two rules

  • The same rules apply for the Hot 100 airplay YE


If you want the full list of songs I listened to for this list, you can check out this Spotify playlist here.


You got all that? Let’s get started with our dishonorable mentions!!


DM #1: Joshua Kadison - Beautiful In My Eyes (YE: #79, PEAK: #19)

Yeah, the ballads are starting early here—because there are so many ways you can tell your partner they look beautiful to you, and it feels like Joshua Kadison is going after each and every one of them. It’s only a 4-minute song but it feels like double that. Her love is a pearl, she’s his Mona Lisa, his rainbow skies. They’ll grow old together, learn silly lessons together, hug each other when they die. The frustrating part is that this has the blueprint of something that could be really sweet—songs about true love lasting through the end of your life absolutely have a place in this world. But the problem here is that the production just doesn’t give Joshua Kadison anything to work with. He’s certainly selling this really sincerely (even if that choir feels a bit unnecessary), but the production doesn’t have any dynamics to it. Take “Colder Weather” by the Zac Brown Band from 2011—the reason that song holds up as a modern country classic is that the production actually rose and fell with the storytelling. Here, the production starts out subtle but just stays at that subtle level and it bores me as a result. This clearly does not live up to its title, if that wasn’t clear enough.


DM #2: Beck - Loser (YE: #50, PEAK: #10)

...Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand here comes the backlash. I know people seem to like this a lot, but I simply don’t get it. The guitar playing is sloppy as hell, the whiteboy rapping sounds like ass, and his singing is even worse. The awful delivery makes me notice every single flubbed rhyme, like rhyming “neutral” with “cruise control” and “vegetables” with “skulls” with “pantyhose”. Beck is certainly a loser, so why don’t you kill me.


DM #3: Babyface - And Our Feelings (YE: #98, PEAK: #21)

Babyface is generally a really expressive R&B performer, which really elevates his music, but I just struggled to like any of his hits this year. And while “When Can I See You” was fine and “Never Keeping Secrets” was mid, “And Our Feelings” is an utter snoozefest. The production is generic and stays at such a sleepy tempo, with the schmaltzy keyboard tone and the unearned string accents on the chorus. The chorus is clearly trying to sound bigger than it actually is—with the percussion buildup that resolves into absolutely nothing. Babyface is certainly trying to sing this as passionately as he can, but the achingly slow tempo pulls everything down with it. This is so boring that it’s difficult to even pay attention to this song to try picking out what’s wrong with it. Literally listening to this song just to write this entry made me feel drowsy—that’s the word for it; it sounds drowsy. It’s melatonin put to music. I’ll give it this much—for a song about how your feelings have just become meaningless words, it perfectly captures that sentiment sonically.


DM #4: Bon Jovi - Always (YE: #91, PEAK: #4)

This is what happens when your scene is collapsing and you have no ideas to sustain your career. As such, glam metal band Bon Jovi makes an easy-listening soft rock slog of a song. All the edge in the instrumentation gets sanded off in an attempt not to alienate listeners threatened by the rock-and-roll shredding of Imagine Dragons. I never really liked Jon Bon Jovi’s snarly vocals anyway, but without any intensity in the production, his voice sounds so much more agonizing. It’s like putting mayonnaise on a finger painting a 6-year-old made where they clearly didn’t go for any design. Like, even if the painting wasn’t terrible, are you seriously convinced that THAT is the finishing touch? AC radio just needs to be outlawed, I’ll say it again—and I’ll always say it.


DM #5: Luther Vandross & Mariah Carey - Endless Love (YE: #56, PEAK: #2)

This is a cover of a Lionel Richie and Diana Ross song. I haven’t heard the original song, but I don’t need to in order to know that this cover is bad. It truly makes me sad to put Mariah Carey on a worst list, considering she’s one of the few artists who could make 90s easy-listening ballads at least passable, but she and Luther Vandross have no chemistry with each other. They come at this like two exes forced to be lab partners in school. It makes the already generic production sound more boring!! This song is only about 50% right—it feels endless, but there’s no love to be found anywhere, especially not from me.


DM #6: Immature - Never Lie (YE: #53, PEAK: #5)

Snore. This is only notable because every member of the boyband that made this was 12-14 when they made it. And they...absolutely sound like it. For all the shit Justin Bieber got in the early 2010s for sounding like a kid, at least his songs were fun!! They sounded like something a kid would make but with the technique you’d expect out of a professional singer. The boys here don’t sound like they’re ready to sing a song about showing loyalty to a partner—they sound like they don’t even know what girls are!! Immature is an appropriate descriptor.


DM #7: Michael Bolton - Said I Loved You...But I Lied (YE: #32, PEAK: #6)

Fuck you Michael Bolton, you suck. I could leave it at that, really. But anyways, I had a sinking feeling of dread when I saw this title coming from one of the absolute worst singers of the 90s. But you see, the title is clever, because it sounds like he’s gonna be a douchebag dumping his partner, but he actually *gasp* feels MORE THAN love for her!! This joke is so tired and corny that even country music would reject it. The production is incredibly flavorless and bland—not even that Latin-sounding guitar can make this distinct! Bolton has a very big voice that is best suited for songs with actual energy, but on ballads, he’s either restraining himself too much in a way that sounds clunky (which he does here) or oversings to an excruciating degree. This is far from the worst song I’ve heard from him, but this still sucks. Good thing I’m not one to lie, because I would never say I love Michael Bolton.


Alright, that’s a healthy start. Now onto the list proper!...


10...I’ve mentioned it on one of my other worst lists, but when you think of 90s boybands, you tend to think of the Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, and the boyband wars between those two. Boybands obviously existed before this, but no one seems to remember them. There’s kinda a reason for that...before the boyband wars, boybands tended to make boring and forgettable R&B. They were more like R&B groups that happened to be made up of men rather than the preteen-targeted pretty boys making teen pop you’d commonly associate with the image of boybands. Now, boyband ballads, even before the boyband wars, can work for me if the singers have enough charisma and passion to make the songs interesting. Often, you could get acts like Boyz II Men, but you could also get utter duds that just bore you to sleep. And when one of those duds becomes one of the biggest hits of the year....


10. All-4-One - I Swear (YE: #2, PEAK: #1)

This is just a cliche “I heart you and I will stand by you through it all” song. All-4-One hammer the phrase “I swear” so much to try emphasizing their sincerity to the point where the phrase loses all meaning and becomes as banal as the platitude actually is!! The guys in All-4-One sound interchangeable with any other boyband from this era and every repetition of “I swear” conversely makes their delivery sound increasingly insincere and their nasal whines more insufferable. The production is also so bland—that sax solo has absolutely no flavor to it. I know this is what, the 7th boring ballad on this list, and I know you probably don’t like how monotonous this list is already. I don’t like it either, I swear.


9...Look, sometimes you look at the artists attached to a track and the jokes just write themselves...


9. Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart & Sting - All For Love (YE: #8, PEAK: #1)

Okay, what record executive thought “there aren’t enough oversinging white male balladeers on the radio!!” and decided to pair Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, and Sting together? Because that person might’ve been given too much coke. It should be obvious that it’s nearly impossible to distinguish the three men from each other. Hell, if I heard this on the radio with no context, I’d think this was literally all sung by one guy with lackluster harmonies added during post. I’m genuinely shocked Michael Bolton isn’t on this song. All three men sound awful, they’re BRRRRRRRRRLTING RRCH WRRRRRRD RRT to sound like they’re singing from deep down in their soul but they sound like they’re getting stabbed in the stomach instead. The harmonizing is so lousy that unless you pay attention, it’s hard to tell that they’re even singing different melodies!! I’m sure that these guys sang this all for one and-no wait, sorry—RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLL FORRRRRRR ONE and RRRRRRRRLL FORRRRRRRRRR LOVE, and they halfway succeeded—in that they all sound like one oversinging white guy monster.


8...So covers of songs have always existed. And they were very popular in the 90s, mostly from record execs looking for a quick buck for pop crossover. This is far from a bad thing in principle. Sometimes, a cover can take a different sonic direction that adds a new layer of magic to the original song. Other times, a cover is so awfully executed that even if you haven’t heard the original song you can’t help but feel that a sacred cow was just killed...


8. General Public - I’ll Take You There (YE: #95, PEAK: #22)

Let’s get this out of the way early—this is a cover of a 1972 Staple Singers song. I haven’t heard the original song, but I still feel offended on their behalf by hearing this cover and what General Public did to it. The singing sounds absolutely atrocious—it feels more like a karaoke pisstake than a genuine cover intended for media consumption. The production is this overly chipper cod reggae shit that refuses to just shut up for even one second, making it exhausting. In a just world, the general public would never have made this cover a hit and instead have taken these guys there—if “there” is an execution chamber.


7...You ever encounter those songs that aren’t quite offensive but dance so close to the edge that you still wanna die hearing it?...


7. Tim McGraw - Indian Outlaw (YE: #90, PEAK: #15)

I’m sure this song was probably the peak of comedy gold in 1994. But I’m not judging this song based on how it hit in 1994, I’m judging based on how it hits now. I’m absolutely very interested in what pop music meant at the time and I will take that into consideration, but I wasn’t even conceived in 1994 (hell, my parents weren’t even married yet), so I can’t speak to how it hit at the time. And how “Indian Outlaw” hits right now feels so close to problematic that it should be problematic but also too goofy to fully cross the line. Let’s just say that Tim McGraw, a white guy, putting on goofy voices while cosplaying as an “Indian outlaw”...kinda hits like in the 1800s when white performers did blackface minstrelsy to appropriate black culture. I’m not saying it fully goes there, but I can certainly see why some might feel that way. But I can’t get offended by this (it’s not my place, I’m Indian but not the type of Indian he’s singing about here) because it’s just too stupid. Every rhyme feels gimmicky, like rhyming outlaw with Choctaw with Chippewa with Bear Claw with paw-paw with maw-maw with wigwam with tom-tom. And his goofy voices don’t set it up like a novelty—it reads more like an insulting parody of Indigenous people, especially when he brings out all the stereotypical iconography of Native Americans—the tribe names, the teepees, the killing buffalo with an arrow and hickory bow. Again, I’m not saying it is racist, but I am saying that if McGraw put this out today, he’d get cancelled. I get that it was a different time, but even from Tim McGraw, there was better this year.


6...So it’s not very uncommon for long-running bands to reach a “sellout period”, where they’re clearly running on name recognition and nostalgia even if the material isn’t anywhere near as good as their peak. Think about Maroon 5 going from a pretty solid funk rock band in the 2000s to a glorified Adam Levine solo project in the 2010s. And it can be exasperating because even if you think the songs are terrible, it’s difficult to find something new to say about them after a while...


6. Aerosmith - Crazy (YE: #68, PEAK: #17)

Let me make this crystal clear if it wasn’t already—Aerosmith post-sellout are utterly excruciating, with their toothless compositions working at odds with frontman Steven Tyler’s painful screeching in a combo that’s like if you put a pillow on a bed of spikes. The instrumentation has no intensity to complement his high notes. The mushy blandness of the instrumental makes his voice ear-piercing. And not for nothing, the tempo is stodgy as hell and it makes the song feel like the auditory equivalent of an ice cream cone melting in the hot summer sun. When you try to pick out individual elements to take issue with in this song, you can’t find anything specific and are instead driven into psychosis from how utterly boring and toothless this is. The only reason this isn’t higher is that I’ll concede that some of the guitar solos aren’t bad. Aerosmith have done worse, even this year (stay tuned), but this is still terrible. Yes, I go crazy, crazy from having to listen to this shit on repeat to write this review.


5...So whenever I write my worst lists, I actually open an incognito tab and play the song on YouTube to analyze it. I do this because well, I don’t wanna fuck up my Spotify or YouTube recommendations by looping songs I hate. I bring this up because right when I searched this next song up, I saw this comment:


Thank you Madison, it’s good to know that thinking this song is terrible is having good music taste!!...


5. Big Mountain - Baby, I Love Your Way (YE: #21, PEAK: #6)

Cod reggae can go fuck itself in the fucking ass. Seriously, this sounds like an only barely better than average UB40 song. Yes, this is a Peter Frampton cover, but like the other covers on this list, I’m treating this as a song in a vacuum. And what this is in a vacuum is a song so white that I feel my skin shriveling up into a raisin and my skeleton wanting to leave my body. The way they sing the titular lyric is skin-crawling. I can’t quite put my finger on why, but if I had to guess, it would have to be the fact that I just can’t stand these vocals, they sound...old. That delivery makes their scatting on the outro sound like something that’d play on loop in hell. It so viscerally makes me wanna light myself on fire—I just hate it. I will admit that the flute sounds okay, though. I guess that counts for something. It certainly saved this from being even higher, but I definitely don’t love these guys’ way.


4...So with “All For Love”, I mentioned that the three vocalists sounded awful because of the oversinging. So what if we had a white male balladeer not oversing? Would that be better? Well, we actually had a white male balladeer show some restraint on a hit song this year! Too bad it was TERRIBLE...


4. Richard Marx - Now And Forever (YE: #25, PEAK: #7)

On one hand, it might be surprising to see this song place higher on this list than any of the oversinging white guys below it. I absolutely see how this might actually be better than those songs in someone’s eyes—Richard Marx stays comfortably in his normal vocal range and doesn’t sound nearly as excruciating as any of those guys. But on the other hand, god does Marx not sound invested whatsoever—he sounds checked out. I don’t get any sincerity from this guy, which is supposed to be the selling point of WGWAG songs like this! He just doesn’t sound like he believes what he’s singing. When I hear this, I don’t hear “I’ll love you until the ocean doesn’t touch the sand”, I hear “ugh...I guess I have to love this girl for the rest of my life”. If you’re gonna use hyperbole, you better sound like you actually believe it—that’s what gives the sentiment its dramatic weight! You don’t actually have to cross a country on foot just to show your partner you love them, you just have to sound believable when you say it. Say what you will about the oversinging white male balladeers, at least they attempted to give their overblown sentiments the weight they needed! This is certainly a song where now and forever just seem to blur together, in that it’s so boring that it feels like an eternity.


3...But that’s not to say that I’m completely exonerating oversinging white guys...


3. Bryan Adams - Please Forgive Me (YE: #27, PEAK: #7)

“Now And Forever” mainly made it so high on this list because Richard Marx’s restraint didn’t come with any passion. But “Please Forgive Me” sees Bryan Adams’s oversinging back with somehow LESS passion than Marx!! He knows he has to sing a bit out of his comfort zone to make it sound more sincere than it actually is. But this sounds like Adams didn’t have the heart to go all the way with it so he stuck with mid-range notes while adding a performative strain to make it seem like he’s oversinging and this is coming from deep down in his heart. And it makes lines like “I know not what I do” drive me up the wall. Dude, you’re not Shakespeare, you’re the guy who strains to hit every note while making bloated ass ballads. And that’s the other thing about this song—it’s WAY TOO DAMN LONG!! Every second feels like a day, which at 5:53, equates to 353 days! This song literally feels like it takes nearly a year!! Every vocal strain from Bryan Adams feels so calculated—it’s fake sincerity without the passion. Every note feels cliche, and every solo feels stripped of anything unique or interesting. It’s just a thoroughly unlovable bloated slog of a song. Trash. I don’t forgive you, Bryan Adams.


2...Roll back to what I said about “Crazy”: “Aerosmith have done worse, even this year (stay tuned)[...]”. Yeah, you didn’t think I was just gonna forget about this, did you?...


2. Aerosmith - Amazing (YE: #72, PEAK: #24)

At least “Crazy” had the decency to have passable guitar solos, as terrible as that song was. But “Amazing” is just...stodgy. Nothing in the instrumental matches Steven Tyler’s unintelligible screeching that sounds like a demon getting sucked into a black hole. Every word he sings feels overdramatic, particularly on “LOFF'S A JAWNEY NOT A DESTINATION”. He’s trying to add rockstar swagger to his delivery but it’s absolutely not needed. It’s a song about overcoming your struggles and how amazing it feels to see the light at the end of the tunnel—at least try to have some subtlety! Even at the beginning of the song, where Steven Tyler sings about how he lost his grip and felt trapped, he’s singing the entire song like he’s singing “Livin’ On A Prayer”. This absolutely does not live up to its title, in case you couldn’t tell. So what could be worse?


Well before that, let’s look at an ineligible DM!!


IDM: Jason Aldean - 1994 (YE: N/A, PEAK: #52)

This song isn’t actually relevant to 1994 at all outside of the title, I just felt obligated to mention it here because this man is a piece of shit human being who looks ugly with the face of someone who just shit his pants and is disappointed by how it feels on top of being talentless. He genuinely can’t sing. As for this song...Aldean should inhale carbon monoxide before he ever raps again. Or opens his mouth, for that matter.


1...So I mentioned this back with “Indian Outlaw”, but since my parents weren’t even married yet in 1994, I feel the only way I can judge these songs is how they hit today. I bring this up because I’m sure the song I placed at #1 on this list was a perfectly harmless track at the time, but events that have happened in the years since have tainted this song in the larger cultural memory, to the point where it’s now often seen as one of the worst songs of the 90s altogether. I try to separate the art from the artist most of the time, but I have my limits. And the artist at the top of this list is one of the few artists where it’s physically impossible for me to separate the art from the artist, even on the songs of his that I like. And if that didn’t give away to anyone who’s read my previous 90s worst lists that #1 is R. Kelly, I think this sentence just did...


1. R. Kelly - Bump N’ Grind (YE: #11, PEAK: #1)

As I mentioned just now, I’m sure “Bump N’ Grind” was a perfectly suitable R&B song in 1994. But I’m not judging how the song hit in 1994—I’m judging how it hits now. And today, this song is very widely considered among the worst of the entire decade because it’s about how R. Kelly is a deviant sex maniac. I already feel gross whenever I listen to an R. Kelly song because his crimes have made listening to his voice feel like he’s peeing on me. So let’s couple his gross voice with the lyrics viewed through a modern context:


“I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump and grind”


Gee R. Kelly, I wonder why YOU don’t see nothing wrong with a little bump and grind. Let’s ask the 14-year-old girl you peed on the same question.


“You need someone, someone like me, yeah

To make love to you, baby, constantly”


Again, you peed on a 14-year-old girl. Plus, let’s not forget that you married Aaliyah when she was 15 during THIS VERY YEAR, 1994. I can only imagine the kind of “love” you wanted to make to her constantly...ugh.


I could go on and on, but I think I’ve made my point. Regardless of how “Bump N’ Grind” hit in 1994, the simple fact is that it feels predatory in 2026. Time can absolutely shift how a song can hit, for better or, in this case, worse. And the fact that R. Kelly’s crimes had been public knowledge for over 20 years before he faced any real consequences and the public still awarded him with hits is a massive failure of the human race. We still keep problematic artists around with knowledge of their problematic behavior today, most notably Kanye West and Chris Brown. The day we learn to hold artists accountable for their shitty behavior is the day that we, as a culture, are at peace. “Bump N’ Grind” by the king of peeing on children: the worst hit song of 1994.


And that’s the worst list finished!! I hope you enjoyed reading that!! My next article won’t be the best list, but it will be something new I wanna try out. My 1994 best list will likely come out more towards the end of the month. Stay tuned for that and until then, if you have predictions for my best list or your own lists of the worst hit songs of 1994, please comment them below!! I’m looking forward to reading them! And until the next article, remember to keep it Fire!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire's Chill Pick - January 2025

Albums Around The Fireplace 2024

The Top 10 Worst Hit Songs of 2011 REDUX